Photographs from TrekNature

Friday, August 8, 2008

Make your own Cable Release in 5 minutes

Make your own Cable Release in 5 minutes

I have been scouting around for a Cable Release for my Pentax *istD for a long time in India with no success. So I decided to make one. I was successful in making a simple cable release in 10 minutes at a cost of les than 2$. I have tested this by taking pictures in Bulb Mode and other exposure modes. I am excited at the prospects of using this cable release and thought of sharing this with you.


Here is how you construct a cable release. (See the picture attached)

1. Buy a simple hands-free for mobile with 2.5mm stereo connector. In my case I bought a LG hands-free (see the picture)

2. I cut off the earphone, opened the cable and separated the core cable and the shield so that they do not touch each other.

3. I then opened the box containing the switch and condenser microphone. I removed the microphone and assembled the microphone box back. In some phone cables there could also be a capacitor attached to the bubble switch. If there is one, remove that as well

4. The button in the microphone box now acts as release button.

The cable release is now ready. Here is how I use it.

I connect the cable release to *istD. I use the focus switch on the camera to focus and set exposures. I then use the cable release button to open the shutter.

The Cable Release never failed me even once.

No comments: